August 18, 2011

Construction of a parabolic reflector antenna to improve WiFi

A reflector antenna WiFi? There are some good reasons to try to increase the reception of your Wi-Fi system, or to increase the signal from the wireless router in a certain direction.

This article gives construction details for a reflector antenna that we built, along with tips and instructions from somewhere else online. Unfortunately, not enough to cover the structure to achieve the goal of long distance (200 meters) the receipt, but> Increase the reception and be less ambitious in terms.

Antenna Booster Wireless

Wifi antenna - why are they useful?

With wireless technology, they usually have one or two small antennas integrated in the wireless router and an antenna is installed on your PC or laptop to a USB key. In general, this is all you need, but sometimes you need something a little 'better.

For example, at home, if your student is at some distance from the router, you can have a poorSignal or away from home in a hotel, you can find similar problems.

To solve them, improve the antenna that you see on your PC, or if at home, can also improve the antenna on the router. The idea is to make a directional antenna, making it stronger in a desired direction, and weakest in ways that do not play any role. With a laptop, the antenna is usually installed on the plate keeps the screen, and no way to improve it. So you need toThe purchase of a wireless USB dongle with an external antenna connector. By placing the dongle (on a USB cable), you can improve reception, and by installing a larger antenna, you can improve reception. In both cases, this may be enough to solve the problem without worrying about the directional aspects.

However, if you have an external antenna, both on your PC or router, may be directional properties with a suitable reflector, we have described above as below.Another approach is to make your own directional antenna from scratch, something called "satellite ready". Basically this is a metal can, as a guide for radio waves, with a rod inside the antenna. On the web there are many discussions about the optimal size for an antenna ready, with many proponents of the use of a Pringles lined aluminum container.

Our Project Wifi Antenna

The background of this project was to stay in a hotel without wi-fi, butKnowing that about 200 meters away there was a restaurant with WiFi, for which I was able to get the access code (there through a coffee!).

The challenge was to get on my laptop, as an extremely weak signal to improve the restaurant.

As always, I have a number of Internet searches and discussions with like-minded tech friends, Jim and Bill. My first thought was to get ready for an antenna, but it seemed that this was the best, where the signal was strong, andAntenna was ready to be necessary to avoid disturbances in the vicinity, or the antenna was completed on both sides (router and PC) used to give a sort of pipeline to the airwaves.

However, my challenge was a very weak signal that the amplification is needed, so I went with a different design that the focus of a reflector, the waves on a standard antenna. Where only small improvements are needed in the signal, Apparently from the Internet, a flat metal reflector behind the antennais sufficient. Yet another challenge for a bent parabolic mirror is necessary. The highlight was that my technical contact Bill (an amateur radio enthusiasts in Ohio) to make a design for this dish, I wanted to do, rather than the antenna arrangement ended.

The antenna design

Several Web sites have a design consultancy that has been very useful. In the end I decided to buy a USB WiFi dongle with a wireless antenna and a large outdoor antenna,to get a 'rubber duck "for the maximum gain for the signal before the reflector. The reflector sheet of cardboard was glued to a curved structure, which is mounted the antenna.

To create the structure that I have two types of cards. For the curved reflector, I wanted paper, it was difficult, but it could be bent into a curve with no creases or tears. I bought a piece of paper can be used in a frame, about 1.5 mm thick (16.1 "). Support for the three crescent-shaped, I wantedCharter, which was rigid and does not bend easily. Here I provide a cardboard box, about 3 mm thick (8.1 ").

For the shape of the reflector, I used a calculator freeware parable. I want the size in hundredths of a millimeter, that is. Diameter = 30000 (ie 300 mm, about 12 "), how the program works only with integers. I wanted the focal length of about 6150 (61.50 mm), with half the wavelength to be adjusted to 2.4 GHz (The rational'm not sure, but I thoughtreflection would be appropriate, the incoming signal at the focal point, but interfere with it). So I have the depth to get to 9146 (ie 91.46 mm) for this focal length. It is a relationship between the focal length with a diameter of 0.2 (I've read in a web page, which ideally should have this ratio between 0.3 and 0.6, but I wanted a good pick up weak signals in diameter) has created the program to score a table with values ​​from a model calculation of graph paper paper.parabola I was also the focal point, which is theWhere the reflector concentrates its signals collected.

I used the graph paper template to mark and cut three supports, to drill a hole in each of the fire. Why was the rubber duck antenna, which is thinner than in the form, I have done little to support the implementation of the summit. I also left a corridor alternative service on a rectangular card, in addition to the half-moon needed to strengthen the structure. I have also attached a strip longer here to make each piece ofis thicker / stiffer - but the feeling and 'been over-engineering "!

Then I cut the rectangle on the curved back, and spent two weeks in training to meet the media. Most of the time I had to do it in a library in prison, and after adding books, more curves and fits the mold. Once properly trained, I glued the curved back supports, with the antenna in place to ensure that all in a row. I rounded the whole band to secure it while the glue dry (I used a'EVOSTIK' glue solvent in the case of a water-based adhesive impairs the map).

It was the latest step in paste a sheet of aluminum foil on the back of the curved shape with a thin layer of glue. Finally, I glued a ticket "sighting" on top of the assembly, so that I can more accurately target my distant source radio.

Test and results

Add the reflector has a significant improvement in some signs, and taken to other signals that had notseen before, especially if I continue with the orientation (horizontal v. vertical) direction and experience. In fact, it was very sensitive to direction - only a few degrees could make a big difference to the received signal to do. I inSSIDer mainly to the signal, which was very convenient, as drawing a graph, to see how it goes easier, such changes are a sign of how you always experiment to measure.

At home where I could broadband in any case, I have an unsecured wireless system, the first choiceout of the field, and on the web. So the conclusion is that the principle of operation as a WiFi system to exploit the normal range. Unfortunately, the original goal was not achieved, since the restaurant does not carry at your fingertips! I think I'm just hoping too much to pass through a 200-yard gap. I would think a spotlight again with a larger width, but portability is a problem, and the thought of a giant leap from a receiving antenna ...

Copyright Michael SMitchell

Construction of a parabolic reflector antenna to improve WiFi

Bed Bug Chicago